PROVIDER SERVICE IDENTIFIER (PSID): IEEE Std 1609.12™-2016
A Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (WAVE) system is a radio communication system intended to provide seamless, interoperable services to transportation. These services include those recognized by the U. S. National Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) architecture and many others contemplated by the automotive and transportation infrastructure industries around the world, such as communication between vehicles and infrastructure (V2I), and communication among vehicles (V2V).
PSIDs have two uses specified in IEEE Std 1609.3. First, a service provider identifies advertised service opportunities by the PSID values in WAVE Service Advertisement (WSA) messages it transmits. Second, the WAVE Short Message Protocol (WSMP) delivers WAVE Short Message (WSM) content to higher layer entities based on the PSID value set by the sender in the WSM message header. A third use of the PSID is specified in IEEE Std 1609.2. A security certificate lists the PSID value(s) identifying applications for which a sender is authorized to generate signed secured messages.
Note: As a prerequisite for the allocation of a PSID, the requestor of a PSID must demonstrate the need based on at least one of the above uses. For example, if a service identified by a PSID will be advertised via the WSA mechanism, then a PSID is required. Even for some services that are unadvertised, if the protocol used by the service is WSMP, then a PSID is required. Lastly, if the service uses certificates as defined in IEEE Std 1609.2, then a PSID is required. One or any combination of the above three uses indicates the need for a PSID.
|IEEE Std 1609.12™-2016 Provider Service Identifier (PSID)||US $570||US $570|
Please search our public PSID listing to determine whether your company or any parent/subsidiary companies already own a PSID assignment. If your Organization has already been issued an assignment, please email us to obtain contact information for the Administrator of the assignment.
- Complete and submit the PSID application by fax or mail. Applications expire after 30 days.
- Any questions regarding your application will be sent to the REQUESTOR.
- Applications are reviewed within 90 days and additional clarification may be required by our review committee.
- Once the application has been approved, it will be processed within 7 business days. Assignment details are sent to the primary applicant upon approval or rejection.
This assignment applies to the WAVE System PSID as defined in IEEE Std 1609.12™-2016 IEEE Standard for Wireless Access In Vehicular Environments (WAVE) – Identifier Allocations.
Other related IEEE standards include:
- IEEE Std 1609.2™-2016, IEEE Standard for Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (WAVE) - Security Services for Applications and Management Messages
- IEEE Std 1609.3-2016, IEEE Standard for Wireless Access In Vehicular Environments (WAVE) – Networking Services
- IEEE Std 1609.4™-2016, IEEE Standard for Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (WAVE) - Multi-Channel Operation
- IEEE Std 802.11™-2012, IEEE Standard for Information Technology - Telecommunications and information exchange between systems - Local and metropolitan area networks - Specific requirements - Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications (communication outside the context of a BSS, i.e. where dot11OCBActivated is true)
The application and PSID assignees have an obligation and responsibility to manage the assigned PSID and to minimize unused PSIDs.