New technology comes with unknown obstacles and unintended risks requiring accountable design and lifecycle planning to ensure responsible innovation. As artificial intelligence, autonomous intelligent systems (AIS), machine learning, autonomous vehicles, and robotics advance at a rapid pace, careful considerations need to be made during development and implementation regarding humanity. At IEEE SA, our global community has developed resources and standards globally recognized in the area of applied ethics and systems engineering and continue to develop accessible and sustainable approaches and solutions for pragmatic application of AIS principles and frameworks. IEEE SA offers standards, training and education, certification programs, and more, to empower stakeholders designing, developing, and using Autonomous Intelligent Systems (AIS). Global participation is encouraged to offer the broadest regional and cultural perspectives required to best contextualize how AIS systems can avoid risk and offer greatest benefit in operation.
Programs and Services
IEEE CertifAIEd™ is a certification program for assessing ethics of Autonomous Intelligent Systems (AIS) to help protect, differentiate, and grow product adoption. The resulting certificate and mark demonstrates the organization’s effort to deliver a solution with a more trustworthy AIS experience to their users.
Learn more about how to engage with AIS related Communities and Industry Connections Programs.
The Global Initiative on Ethics of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems
This community’s mission is to ensure every stakeholder involved in the design and development of autonomous and intelligent systems is educated, trained, and empowered to prioritize ethical considerations so that these technologies are advanced for the benefit of humanity via publications like Ethically Aligned Design and the IEEE 7000 series.
Pre-Standardization Activities On Industrial AI
Industrial AIS differs from consumer AIS applications. Participants from large and small corporations, academia, industry, and government agencies collaborate to identify possible overlaps between industrial automation and industrial AI requirements and identify potential gaps that need to be bridged by new standards.
The Open Community for Ethics in Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (OCEANIS)
IEEE CertifAIEd™ Awareness
This 20-minute awareness module to help decision makers and other concerned parties get a general overview of AI ethics’ importance to their business, and how to address it in their AIS with IEEE CertifAIEd™.
IEEE CertifAIEd Training | 13-16 November 2023
This course has been developed for individuals who are interested in learning how to assess Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (AIS) for their conformity to IEEE CertifAIEd AI Ethics criteria. Completion of this course is an integral step towards becoming recognized as an IEEE CertifAIEd Authorized Assessor.
AIS Related Standards
Ethically Aligned Design (EAD):
- AI Ethics for Solutions Developers
- IEEE CertifAIEd™ – Ontological Specification for Ethical Transparency
- IEEE CertifAIEd™ – Ontological Specification for Ethical Algorithmic Bias
- IEEE CertifAIEd™ – Ontological Specification for Ethical Accountability
- IEEE CertifAIEd™ – Ontological Specification for Ethical Privacy
- AI Ethics Support Badge
Children's Data Governance:
- 8 Examples of Protecting Children’s Data Privacy and Fostering a Positive Experience
- Measuring What Matters in the Era of Global Warming and the Age of Algorithmic Promises
- Report: Decoupling Human Characteristics from Algorithmic Capabilities
- Report: Addressing Ethical Dilemmas in AI: Listening to Engineers
- The IEEE CertifAIEd Framework for AI Ethics Applied to the City of Vienna
- How To Make Autonomous Systems More Transparent and Trustworthy
- Archived News/Events
- Measurementality Series
- Measurementality, is a series of podcasts, webinars, and reports created by IEEE SA in collaboration with The Radical AI Podcast and explores what measurements of success we’re optimizing for AIS development.
- Webinar: Is it Technically Possible to Make the World Age Appropriate
- Today, one in three people online is under 18. There is an urgent need to address the vulnerabilities and evolving capacities associated with children and their online experiences.
- IEEE Course Program on AI Standards
- The purpose of this course series is to provide instructions for a comprehensive approach to creating ethical and responsible digital ecosystems.
- IEEE Course Program on Artificial Intelligence and Ethics in Design
- Responsible artificial intelligence, law, compliance, and ethics in artificial intelligence and practical applied ethics for use in the responsible design of artificial intelligence systems.
- Past Webinars on AIS and Ethics