What's Happening Around the World
IEEE-SA Workshop on LVDC in Mumbai
The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) organized a workshop focused on Low Voltage Direct Current (LVDC) held 30 Jan 2017 in Mumbai India. Key segments pertaining to the development and deployment of LVDC systems in India and globally include
- The needs of the electrical power industry to provide safe and economic access to electricity in areas of developed and developing countries where centralized electric power generation, transmission and distribution infrastructure does not exist
- Highlights on new applications based on LVDC technologies that will impact energy efficiencies
- LVDC Microgrids that are becoming a vital infrastructure in both developing and developed economies
- Facilitating the use of clean renewable generation of electricity in these applications through standards like IEEE P2030.10™
- Highlighting developments of IEEE P2030.10 including design, operations, and maintenance of a DC microgrid for rural or remote applications
IEEE-SA Fosters and Grows the Benefits of Standards in East Africa
The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA), led by IEEE Board of Governors member Glenn Parsons and India office Director of Standards and Technology Sri Chandra, conducted an extensive follow-up outreach program in East Africa in October, visiting Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya. Highlights of this trip included the official signing ceremony for adoption and general cooperation agreements with the Rwanda Standards Board and the presentation of a breakfast workshop in both Kenya and Uganda entitled, “From Internet Connectivity to Renewable Energy—Technology Solutions for Big Challenges.”
Additional activities included meeting with key regulators, as well as their national standards bodies, and a standards education workshop offered at Strathmore University in Kenya focused on renewable energy. Through these and other meetings, IEEE-SA continues to foster and grow the interest in IEEE standards and the benefits they can bring to the Africa region.
About Global Engagement
IEEE seeks cooperation with relevant organizations and stakeholders from around the world to achieve global inclusiveness in the advancement of technology and to increase interoperability. Here is some information about specific relationships, activities, and processes.