INTERNATIONAL ELECTROTECHNICAL COMMISSION (IEC)
The IEC is a global organization (participation is by country) that prepares and publishes international standards for all electrical, electronic, and related technologies. These serve as a basis for national standardization and as references when drafting international tenders and contracts.
IEEE Agreement with IEC - IEC/IEEE Dual Logo Agreement
The agreement, originally aimed at identifying suitable IEEE standards and draft standards as candidates for processing through the IEC full-consensus procedure at the country level, has been expanded to include the joint development of new or existing standards in parallel in both organizations. The agreement involves a dual-logo arrangement in which the logos of both organizations will appear on documents adopted by and jointly developed with IEC.
- Co-operation and Licence Agreement Between IEC and IEEE (IEC Administrative Circular 138/AC)
- IEC/IEEE Dual Logo Maintenance Procedure (IEC Administrative Circular AC/24/2007)
- IEC-IEEE Joint Development Agreement (IEC Administrative Circular AC/22/2008)
- Guide to IEC/IEEE Cooperation
- IEEE Documents Adopted as IEC/IEEE Dual Logo Documents
There are three core documents describing basic procedural rules to be followed by IEC committees:
- ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1: (Procedures for the technical work) (2011, 8th edition) - Sets out the procedures to be followed within ISO and IEC in carrying out their technical work: primarily the development and maintenance of International Standards through the activities of technical committees and their subsidiary bodies.
- ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, Rules for the structure and drafting of International Standards (2011, 6th edition) - Specifies rules for the structure and drafting of documents intended to become International Standards, Technical Specifications or Publicly Available Specifications. As far as practical, these rules also apply to documents intended to become Technical Reports or Guides. All these document types are referred to collectively hereinafter as documents, unless otherwise necessary.
- ISO/IEC Directives, IEC Supplement: Procedures specific to IEC (2011, 6th edition) - Supplement to the ISO/IEC Directives comprises modifications and additions to the ISO/IEC Directives that have been approved by the Standardization Management Board for implementation within IEC. Reference is also made to the list of additional documentation provided on the IEC web site.
Search for Technical Work in the IEC
A choice of search engines lets you either find general information about a technical committee or subcommittee, or else very specific information about the work they’re doing.