ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011, a service management system (SMS) standard, is adopted by the IEEE in this standard. It specifies requirements for the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The requirements include
the design, transition, delivery, and improvement of services to fulfill agreed service requirements.
This standard can be used by the following:
- An organization seeking services from service providers and requiring assurance that their service requirements will be fulfilled.
- An organization that requires a consistent approach by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain.
- A service provider that intends to demonstrate its capability for the design, transition, delivery, and improvement of services that fulfill service requirements.
- A service provider to monitor, measure, and review its service management processes and services.
- A service provider to improve the design, transition, delivery, and improvement of services through the effective implementation and operation of the SMS.
- An assessor or auditor as the criteria for a conformity assessment of a service provider’s SMS to the requirements in this standard.