2023 Theme: Generative AI for 3D Product Creation
The 6th Annual Grand Challenge is being hosted once again by the 3D Retail Coalition (3DRC), in partnership with Kalypso and IEEE. This year, we are focusing on the transformative potential of combining Generative AI and 3D Product Creation in the market. We invite creative research and innovative solutions that can revolutionize how retailers and brands discover, create, make, and sell new products.
This year’s Grand Challenge poses the question: How can Generative AI and 3D be used together to revolutionize the following aspects of team operations:
- Discovering, exploring, and experimenting with products and experiences?
- Designing, developing, and iterating on the creation of products and experiences?
- Simulating, testing, and producing products and experiences?
- Promoting and selling products and experiences?
To fulfill the requirements of the brief, submissions must:
- Incorporate both Generative AI and 3D capabilities.
- Support the creation of products and/or experiences.
- Have direct applicability to the apparel, footwear, and accessories industry.
- Hold the potential to create value for brands, retailers, and/or consumers.
- Demonstrate practical feasibility beyond theoretical concepts.
Eligible participants must be affiliated with either a start-up or an academic institution, meeting the following criteria:
Start-up Eligibility: A start-up, as defined for this contest, is a legally registered organization with fewer than 10 full-time employees and serving fewer than 10 active clients in the retail, footwear, and apparel industry.
Academic Institution Eligibility: An academic or research institution, as defined for this contest, is a legally registered organization with an educational mission, non-profit status, and formal accreditation from a recognized accrediting body or governance agency.
Please refer to the official rules below for additional eligibility requirements.
The Submission & Review Process
The Contest is conducted in two phases as outlined below. Entries received before or after the entry period are void.
Phase 1: Preliminary Round
Entry Period: 28 June 2023 – 29 September 2023
Entries Must Include: Uploaded document(s) containing entrant contact information, confirmation of eligibility and responses to the prompt(s) outlined above. In Phase 1 responses should be considered an executive summary and are not to exceed 5 pages. Links to relevant images and multimedia are permitted.
Phase 2: Semifinalist Round
Entry Period: 16 October 2023 – 17 November 2023
Entries Must Include: Chosen semifinalists from Phase 1 will be asked to submit additional information for Phase 2 which may include a white paper, research publication, solution schematic, thesis, video, demonstration, or other materials to provide greater detail on the solution / research.
Solutions will be reviewed for their relevance in the categories of:
- Applicability – the extent to which the submission applies to areas across the product development lifecycle
- Business Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses saving and/or making new value for customers and/or consumers
- Technology Impact – the extent to which the submission delivers improvements on existing and/or new capabilities
- Social Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses social and environmental impacts and implications
Solutions need to be submitted in one of the categories below:
- Start-up company
- Academic or Research Institution
All submissions will be reviewed by the 2023 3DRC Grand Challenge judges.
- Entrants must submit Round 1 entries by 29 September 2023, 11:59pm PST
- Round 1 accepted submissions will be reviewed by judges and narrowed to semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will move forward to Round 2. This enhanced round will require further submission of research details and/or prototypes including features, capabilities and/or solutions.
- Finalists of Round 1 will be notified via email no later than 13 October and provided specifics on the submission for Round 2
- Entrants must submit Round 2 entries by 17 November 2023, 11:59pm PST
- Winners of Round 2 will be notified via email no later than 15 December 2023
The winning entry shall receive:
- A featured presentation (virtual) to the 3D Retail Coalition (3D.RC) Board of Directors, Committee Teams and Active Members; representing dozens of the world’s most prominent brands
- A marketing & promotional package provided by Grand Challenge Sponsors including:
- IEEE featured blog post and/or e-publication
- Kalypso Viewpoint article and video interview
- Social media posts from IEEE, PI Apparel, and Kalypso
- A complimentary events package provided by MarketKey including:
- Two registration passes for one mutually-agreed upon 2024 PI Apparel event
- On-stage recognition & promotion during the above 2024 PI Apparel event
- The opportunity to present the winning research or solution during a webinar hosted by MarketKey & the 3D.RC