2022 3DRC Retail Digital Transformation Grand Challenge: 3D Virtualization for Retailers and Brands
The retail industry is in a phase of rapid transformation: metaverse shopping experiences have grown rapidly; manufacturers are accelerating the growth of their direct-to-consumer businesses; and consumers expect personalized products and experiences, as well as full transparency to responsible sourcing and sustainable practices.
In the past two plus years, COVID-19 has exposed the risks of traditional product creation models and long product development cycles, along with the need to work differently in the supply chain.
2022 Theme: 3D Scaling & Automation
Celebrating our fifth year hosting the Grand Challenge, the gains made in 3D during the time frame are amazing but still require individual process steps or touches. In order to transform our industry utilizing 3D technology, we need to scale and automate our work. This year, we’re looking for creative research and solutions with the potential to increase the speed in which companies can create, make and sell product by leveraging 3D technology.
This year, we’re looking for creative research and solutions with the potential to transform the way companies create, make and sell new products by harnessing the power of scaling and automation of 3D digital product creation. This year’s Grand Challenge is looking to answer the questions: How can we build and advance industry-wide capability to scale 3D product virtually, across the product creation lifecycle? How can we create tools to automate the work drive to drive efficiencies?
Entrants are encouraged to explore the concept of scaling and automation in 3D virtualization in the most holistic of terms, including, but not limited to, themes of 3D design, fit & body scanning, avatars, generative design, robotic process automation, rendering & visualization, augmented & virtual reality, and additive manufacturing.
Eligible entries should apply the lens(es) of People, Process and Technology-related solutions that address the ability to scale and automate 3D product virtualization within any stage(s) of the create, make and sell lifecycle of product creation, as illustrated below.
Review Process & Outcomes
Solutions will be reviewed for their relevance in the categories of:
- Applicability – the extent to which the submission applies to areas across the product development lifecycle
- Business Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses saving and/or making new value for customers and/or consumers
- Technology Impact – the extent to which the submission delivers improvements on existing and/or new capabilities
- Social Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses social and environmental impacts and implications
Solutions need to be submitted in one of the categories below:
- Start-up company
- Academic or Research Institution
All submissions will be reviewed by the 2022 3DRC Grand Challenge judges.
- Entrants must submit Round 1 entries by 1 October 2022, 11:59pm PST
- Round 1 accepted submissions will be reviewed by judges and narrowed to semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will move forward to Round 2. This enhanced round will require further submission of research details and/or prototypes including features, capabilities and/or solutions.
- Finalists of Round 1 will be notified via email no later than October 12 and provided specifics on the submission for Round 2
- Entrants must submit Round 2 entries by 17 November 2022, 11:59pm PST
- Winners of Round 2 will be notified via email no later than 10 December 2022
The winning entry shall receive:
- Multiple exposure points to the entire 3DRC membership of retailers and brands
- Marketing & promotional package to include:
- Mention and promotion during an upcoming PI Apparel event in 2023
- Recognition via an IEEE-sponsored press release and/or e-publication placement
- Published article and video interview by Kalypso
- Social media posts from PI Apparel and Kalypso
- Event participation to include:
- The opportunity to present the winning research or solution on a PI Apparel Webinar. Presentation must occur within a 12-month period from announcement of winner**
- Full details on these prizes are in the rules.
For information or questions, please contact [email protected].