The 2017 NESC(R) Handbook, Premier Edition, is an essential companion to the Code. This handbook includes text directly from Code which provides users an easy reference back to the code, ruling-by-ruling. It gives users insight into what lies behind the NESC's rules and how to apply them. The Handbook was developed for use at many levels in the electric and communication industries, including those involved in system design, construction, maintenance, inspection, standards development and worker training. The Handbook also discusses how the NESC Committee has developed the rules in the Code and responded to change proposals during the past 100 years. This allows users to understand how questions they may have were dealt with in the past. The Premier Edition includes: • Revising the purpose rule to include only the safeguarding of persons and utility facilities and clarifying the application rules.
• Deleting unused definitions and adding definitions for communication and supply space.
• Revising the substation impenetrable fence requirements.
• Adding an exception to exempt underground cable grounding requirements from the 4 grounds in each mile rule under certain conditions.
• Revising and reorganizing the guy insulator placement rules along with eliminating the voltage transfer requirements associated with them.
• Requiring a 40” vertical clearance from communication cables in the communication space if a luminaire is not effectively grounded.
• Deleting the conductance requirement for underground insulating jacketed grounded neutral supply cables and revising the grounding and bonding rules for supply and communication cables in random separation installations.
• Revising and reorganizing the Grades of Construction Table 242-1 that will now include service drops.
• Revising the strength rules to require that all conductors be considered for damage due to Aeolian vibration.
• Revising the rules in Part 4 to align with changes made to 29 CFR by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).