What is Conformity Assessment?
Conformity assessment is regarded as the industry-accepted method of demonstrating a product adheres and conforms to a standard. Conformity assessment can include testing, inspection, certificate issuance and registration.
Conformity assessment testing is the process by which an end-user or purchaser is provided the assurance and desired level of confidence that a device conforms to an identified standard or test specification.
IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP)
The ICAP advantage
As a part of the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE SA) ecosystem, ICAP is uniquely positioned and equipped to help your Working Group develop a Conformity Assessment Program aligned with the IEEE SA standard development process and industry-accepted Conformity Assessment best practices. In addition, ICAP engages in all aspects of the conformity assessment process, ensuring key insights and information about the standard are seamlessly managed and transitioned from standards development through conformity assessment by IEEE SA.
How We Work
ICAP partners with your Working Group, test laboratories and other industry stakeholders in the development of conformance assessment, testing and certification plans that can enhance the adoption of standards. Working together, we help you define industry-appropriate benchmarks, protocols and procedures that form the basis for rigorous testing and evaluation of product features and functionality – consistent with your standard.
Benefits of IEEE Conformity Assessment Programs
Today, more than ever, consumers, manufacturers, service providers, value-added resellers and businesses expect product reliability, efficiency, and interoperability. ICAP programs address these needs and more:
- Confidence and assurance that a product or service conforms or complies to IEEE or industry standards
- Conformity assessment and certification programs enable seamless implementation and successful deployments of multiple technologies
- ICAP certified products ensure that key functionality is implemented while providing interoperability across multiple vendors’ solutions
- Enables trade and use across state and international boundaries with the assurance of operating safely, reliably and within certain measurable performance criteria
- Potential reduction of testing burdens on manufacturers in meeting multiple buyers’ or end-users’ test programs
- Potential to foster an advantageous position in a competitive environment
Extensive Program Support
ICAP offers comprehensive support services including:
- Guidance on introducing Conformity Assessment early in the standards development process
- Best practices for defining and designing Conformance Assessment programs
- Development of customized conformity assessment programs that meet industry needs
- Development and management of test plans and test suites
- Test laboratory audit assessment and authorization
- Technical and logistical support services to industry groups executing interoperability demonstrations of specific technologies related to IEEE standards
- Development of certification schemes utilizing industry best practices
- Full oversight, administration and facilitation for testing and certification activities
- Management of certificate issuance and certification logo licensing
- Maintenance of certified products registry