ICTs and Smart Energy: Accelerating the use of ICTs for sustainability
Tuesday, 20 April, 14:00-15:00 CET
Digital innovation has produced groundbreaking technologies that can help propel us toward the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. Information Communication Technologies (ICTs), in particular, act as powerful catalysts in the three domains of sustainable development--economic development, social inclusion and environmental protection. ICTs enable all manner of digital solutions like smart agriculture, smart buildings, smart mobility, smart manufacturing, and smart conservation, among many others.
These smart solutions need electricity to function, however, and realizing their full impact in achieving the SDGs can be impeded by lack of access to clean, affordable and sustainable energy.
The world faces many challenges with respect to ICTs and energy:
- How to underpin ambitious sustainability goals while at the same time reducing carbon emissions?
- How to incorporate reliable renewable energy solutions in an affordable way?
- How to accelerate energy solutions and energy transition?
- How to increase the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix?
- How to increase access in developing countries and beyond? Could distributed power sources and the use of Direct Current help?
- How to approach mushrooming data storage needs and the resultant energy demands?
- How to address electronic waste recycling difficulties while new devices proliferate?
Smart energy, with its focus on affordable, sustainable, and renewable energy resources, forms an important part of effective ICT-powered solutions. Smart energy helps improve energy efficiency and access to affordable and safe energy, and it supports an increase in the share of renewable energies in the energy mix.
This workshop will focus on practical solutions for sustainable energy to help enable access to sustainable ICTs. Experts will share real-world experiences and solutions, and address the question of how to leverage smart resilient energy solutions to enable ICT for sustainable development.