Sustainable Digital Transformation
The retail industry is in a phase of rapid transformation: manufacturers are accelerating the growth of their direct to consumer businesses; retailers are maturing private brand programs; and digitally native brands are opening stores.
Most importantly, consumers expect personalized products and experiences, as well as full transparency to responsible sourcing and sustainable practices.
2020 Theme: Sustainability
Now in its third year, this competition challenges the technology and academic community to offer up innovations and solutions to address these issues while helping build capabilities for the future of retail.
This year, we’re looking for creative solutions with the potential to transform the pursuit of sustainability within the global retail footwear and apparel industry by harnessing the power of digital product creation.
Eligible entries should apply the lens(es) of People, Process and/or Technology-related solutions that address sustainability within any stage(s) of the create, make and sell lifecycle of product creation, as illustrated in the example below.
Entrants are encouraged to explore the concept of sustainability in the most holistic of terms, including but not limited to themes of circular design, waste reduction, stewardship of resources, and social responsibility.
Solutions will be reviewed for their relevance in the categories of:
- Collaboration - the degree and/or diversity of stakeholders that collaborate on developing the submission
- Social Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses social and environmental impacts and implications
- Business Impact – extent to which the submission addresses saving and/or making new value for customers and/or consumers
- Technology Impact – extent to which the submission delivers improvements on existing and/or new capabilities
All submissions will be reviewed by the 2020 3DRC Grand Challenge judges.
- Entrants must submit Round 1 entry by 26 June, 2020, 11:59pm PST
- Round 1 accepted submissions will be reviewed by judges and narrowed to semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will move forward to Round 2. This enhanced round will require further submission of prototypes including features, capabilities and/or solutions.
- Finalists of Round 1 will be notified via email no later than 20 July 2020 and provided specifics on the submission for Round 2
- Entrants must submit Round 2 entries by 25 Sept 2020, 11:59pm PST
- Winners of Round 2 will be notified via email no later than 9 Oct 2020 and announced as part of PI Apparel Amsterdam to be held in October 2020
Awards & Recognition
The winning entry shall receive:
- Recognition via an IEEE sponsored press release and/or e-publication placement
- An IEEE sponsored webinar showcasing winning participant submissions
- The opportunity to present the winning solution at a PI Apparel World Event. Presentation must occur within a 12-month period from announcement of winner** (subject to PI Apparel board approval)
- Additionally, the winner will receive a full day collaborative workshop in the Bridgetown Innovation Studio in Portland, OR. This workshop allows the winner to tap into Kalypso’s industry and digital experts and leverage their ecosystem connections. The winner will also receive the opportunity to develop a physical showcase of the winning technology in Bridgetown, to be available to retailers who visit the space.
- Full details on these prizes are in the rules.