On 20 April 2012, the IEEE SA Corporate Advisory Group (CAG) sponsored the IEEE P1904.1™ SIEPON Seminar entitled Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPON) – The FTTx Success Story. The FREE full-day seminar was held at the Boscolo Prague Hotel in the Czech Republic.
Speakers included network operators who have deployed tens of millions of lines of EPON as well as members of the IEEE P1904.1™ Working Group, Standard for Service Interoperability in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (SIEPON).
IEEE EPON is the market-leading, fiber-access technology, with worldwide deployments supporting more than 60 million subscribers today, and an anticipated subscriber base of more than 100 million by the end of 2013.
EPON deployments support a diverse suite of business and residential services, including IPTV, VoIP, commercial-grade data services, and cellular backhaul.
The talks were organized in four panels and addressed the following topics:
- How does EPON address the exploding demand for more bandwidth?
- What makes EPON economical, reliable, scalable, and evolvable?
- How do multiple generations of EPON coexist on the same network?
- How does the IEEE P1904.1 SIEPON standard fosters the global EPON ecosystem?
Access and View Presentations from the Seminar
- Overview of the IEEE, IEEE SA & Corporate Programs – Dennis Brophy, IEEE BoG member, CAG Chair
- Ethernet: A look at the Ubiquitous Wired Networking Technology and Why it Makes Sense for a Service Provider – Wael Diab, IEEE 802.3 Ethernet WG Vice Chair
- ICAP and Standards Implementation – Peter Lefkin, ICAP
- Developing an FTTx Ecosystem – Glen Kramer, IEEE 1904.1 SIEPON WG Chair
- Case Studies from Japan – Ken-Ichi Suzuki, NTT Corporation
- EPON Technology and its Application in China Telecomʹs Access Network Migration – Shen Chengbin, China Telecom Corporation
- North American MSO – EPON Deployments – Ed Mallette, Brighthouse Networks
- IEEE 1904.1 (SIEPON) Architecture and Model – Marek Hajduczenia, ZTE Corporation
- Power Saving Methods in EPON – Susumu Nishihara, NTT Corporation
- Resilience and Service Protection in EPON – Hesham Elbakoury, Huawei Technologies
- QoS in SIEPON Standard – Jeff Stribling, Hitachi, Ltd.
- IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) for SIEPON – Ravi Subramaniam, ISTO-ICAP
- SIEPON Alignment with Broadband Forum – Lowell Lamb, Broadcom Corporation
- EPON in Cable Environment – EPON, SIEPON, DPoE – Curtis Knittle, Cablelabs
- “EPoC”: The Art of Mixed Media Presentation – Ed Mallette, Brighthouse Networks