INTERNATIONAL ELECTROTECHNICAL COMMISSION (IEC)
The IEC is a global organization (participation is by country) that prepares and publishes international standards for all electrical, electronic, and related technologies. These serve as a basis for national standardization and as references when drafting international tenders and contracts.
IEEE Agreement with IEC - IEC/IEEE Dual Logo Agreement
IEEE and IEC have an agreement in place to increase their cooperation in developing international standards. The IEC/IEEE Dual Logo agreement aims to optimize stakeholder resources in the development of standards where both IEC and IEEE have expertise, and to shorten time-to-market. The agreement facilitates processes for the joint development of standards and for the adoption of IEEE standards by IEC.
There are three core documents describing basic procedural rules to be followed by IEC committees:
- ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1: (Procedures for the technical work) (2015, 6th edition) (PDF) - Sets out the procedures to be followed within ISO and IEC in carrying out their technical work: primarily the development and maintenance of International Standards through the activities of technical committees and their subsidiary bodies.
- ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, Rules for the structure and drafting of International Standards (2011, 6th edition) (PDF) - Specifies rules for the structure and drafting of documents intended to become International Standards, Technical Specifications or Publicly Available Specifications. As far as practical, these rules also apply to documents intended to become Technical Reports or Guides. All these document types are referred to collectively hereinafter as documents, unless otherwise necessary.
- ISO/IEC Directives, IEC Supplement: Procedures specific to IEC (2014, 11th edition) (PDF) - Supplement to the ISO/IEC Directives comprises modifications and additions to the ISO/IEC Directives that have been approved by the Standardization Management Board for implementation within IEC. Reference is also made to the list of additional documentation provided on the IEC web site.
Search for Technical Work in the IEC
A choice of search engines lets you either find general information about a technical committee or subcommittee, or else very specific information about the work they?re doing.
• List of IEC Technical Committees
• TC dashboard
• Working documents, project files and work programmes
• Publications and work in progress