IEEE SA contributes to global discussions related to technology governance, legislation, and regulation through public policy statements, participation in global conferences, and by providing input to governments and organizations worldwide.
Public Policy Statements
IEEE SA recognizes the important role standards have in public policy and coordinates the development of public policy statements addressing topics at the intersection of technology and standards.
- IEEE Standards Development Principles (PDF)
- IEEE Adherence to the World Trade Organization Principles for International Standardization (PDF)
- Policies Accepting Global, Market-driven Standards Should be Embraced in International Trade Discussions and Regulatory Environments (PDF)
- IEEE Standards Association Statement of Intention – Our Role in Addressing Ethical Considerations of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (A/IS) (PDF)
- Intelligent Spectrum Allocation and Management (PDF)
Communications and Interventions
IEEE SA contributes to the global dialogue surrounding technology, standards and sustainability by responding to public calls for action or by providing oral or written interventions at relevant national and international fora.
- IEEE SA Universal Policy Communications on the Market Driven Standards Paradigm 27 September 2021 (PDF)
- IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors Resolution Endorsing the work of The IEEE Global Initiative on Ethics of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (The Global Initiative) (PDF)
- Statement Regarding the Ethical Implementation of Artificial Intelligence Systems (AIS) for Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum
The WSIS Forum serves as a platform for a global discussion of ICTs and how they can be a means to achieving the UN SDGs. IEEE participates in the WSIS Forum in High Level panels and organizes expert workshops and panel discussions on topics such as internet inclusion and accessibility, ethical dimensions of AI, children’s rights online, sustainability, smart energy, cybersecurity, privacy, e-health data, and many others.
Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
Summit on Human Rights in the Digital Age (RightsCon)
RightsCon focuses on issues at the intersection of human rights and technology. IEEE has led discussions on issues such as data sovereignty and health wearables, and technology and sustainability, engaging a diverse community of stakeholders to help further the global dialogue around these important topics.
European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG)
The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) is known as a leading global multi-stakeholder forum on public policy issues related to Internet governance. It provides a venue for dialogue to identify issues to be addressed by the international community and it prepares the ground for negotiations and decision-making. IEEE participates in IGF, leading discussions on such topics as digital identity, internet governance, security, privacy, improving global connectivity, and AI systems ethics.
Responses to Requests for Input
IEEE SA submits responses to public open consultations or requests for information from governments and international organizations when there is relevance to standards.
- NIST RFI on their Study on Chinese Policies and Influence in the Development of International Standards for Emerging Technologies (December 2021)
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and National Science Foundation (OSTP and NSF) Task Force RFI on an Implementation Plan for a National Artificial Intelligence Research Resource (NAIRR) (September 2021)
- NIST RFI on an AI Risk Management Framework (September 2021)
- NIST RFC on a Proposal for Identifying and Managing Bias in Artificial Intelligence (September 2021)
- European Standardization Framework (August 2021)
- Financial Institutions Use of AI RFI (July 2021)
- European Commission’s Sector Inquiry into the Consumer Internet of Things (June 2021)
- Federal Communications Commission Notice of Inquiry in the matter of Promoting the Deployment of 5G Open Radio Access Networks (June 2021)
- US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Framework for Automated Driving System Safety (April 2021)
- US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Cybersecurity Best Practices for the Safety of Modern Vehicles (March 2021)
- NIS Cybersecurity — Review of EU Rules on the Security of Network and Information Systems Roadmap (October 2020)
- European Commission Inception Impact Assessment (IIA) on requirements for AI (September 2020)
- Data To Go: An FTC Workshop on Data Portability RFI (August 2020)
- EC CAHAI Draft Feasibility Study RFI (October 2019)