Working at the intersection of public policy, government affairs and standards development, we help Policymakers and Government Officials connect with standardization developments within IEEE while working with them to facilitate access to the latest emerging technical information.
Global Progress through Technology, Standards, and Policy
We are committed to building bridges between the worlds of technology, standards and policy making. We do this by participating in policy fora, making contributions to the global dialogue on critical issues and engaging with global leaders to help promote innovation, enable the creation and expansion of international markets and protect health and public safety.
Enhancing Standardization through Global Collaboration
We collaborate with various bodies and organizations from around the world to help improve understanding of standardization at the intersection of policy and regulation, increase coordination on standards issues and strengthen the use of impactful consensus-based standards and identify opportunities to advance our respective and collective missions.
Voluntary technical standards have a significant role in international exchange of products and services. They are used for safety and reliability, to support technical regulations, to ensure interoperability, to grow markets, to address fast-moving and converging technologies, and more.
Join us at upcoming events and see event highlights from past events
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum
13-17 March 2023 | Geneva, Switzerland
We hope you enjoyed our sessions at the WSIS Forum where we discussed leveraging and utilizing resources and communities to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs.
Pan-European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG)
19-21 June 2023 | Tampere, Finland
The Pan-European dialogue on Internet governance (EuroDIG) is an open platform for informal and inclusive discussions on public policy issues related to Internet Governance.
World Radiocommunication Congress (WRC)
20 November - 15 December 2023 | Dubai, UAE
WRC reviews the Radio Regulations, the international treaty governing the use of the radio-frequency spectrum and the geostationary-satellite and non-geostationary-satellite orbits.
A collection of resources and information curated for government officials, policymakers, and regulators, covering standardization topics, including policy briefs, statements and contributions.
- IEEE Standards Development Principles (PDF)
- IEEE Adherence to the World Trade Organization Principles for International Standardization (PDF)
- Policies Accepting Global, Market-driven Standards Should be Embraced in International Trade Discussions and Regulatory Environments (PDF)
- IEEE Standards Association Statement of Intention – Our Role in Addressing Ethical Considerations of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (A/IS) (PDF)
- Intelligent Spectrum Allocation and Management (PDF)
- IEEE SA Universal Policy Communications on the Market Driven Standards Paradigm 27 September 2021 (PDF)
- IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors Resolution Endorsing the work of The IEEE Global Initiative on Ethics of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems (The Global Initiative) (PDF)
- Statement Regarding the Ethical Implementation of Artificial Intelligence Systems (AIS) for Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
- IEEE in the Global Standards Development Landscape (PDF)
A policy brief that provides an overview of IEEE in the global standards development landscape.
- Why Countries Adopt IEEE Standards (PDF)
A policy brief that explains the value of adopting IEEE standards by countries and how the IEEE Adoption Program works.
- IEEE’s Global Standardization Model (PDF)
A policy brief that illustrates IEEE’s global standardization model and how it develops standards.
- IEEE Standards Development Process Basics Infographic (PDF)
An infographic that portrays the guiding principles for standards development at the IEEE.
- NIST RFI on their Study on Chinese Policies and Influence in the Development of International Standards for Emerging Technologies (December 2021)
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and National Science Foundation (OSTP and NSF) Task Force RFI on an Implementation Plan for a National Artificial Intelligence Research Resource (NAIRR) (September 2021)
- NIST RFI on an AI Risk Management Framework (September 2021)
- NIST RFC on a Proposal for Identifying and Managing Bias in Artificial Intelligence (September 2021)
- European Standardization Framework (August 2021)
- Financial Institutions Use of AI RFI (July 2021)
- European Commission’s Sector Inquiry into the Consumer Internet of Things (June 2021)
- IEEE GET Program
A subsidized program that provides free access to a select collection of IEEE.
- IEEE Reading Room
Providing read-only access to IEEE standards incorporated by reference in legislation.
- Beyond Standards Blog
Providing insights, sharing information and exchanging opinions on standards and their use and impact.
- All IEEE SA events
A comprehensive calendar of all IEEE SA events.