October 2013| In This Issue
New Standards Available
Hot Off The Press
(Back to top)
NEW IEEE Smart Grid Research Paper on Cyber Security Available
Countries across the globe are implementing smart grids in order to achieve reductions in emissions, increased grid efficiency, increased usage of renewable energy sources, increased consumer control over their energy consumption, and other economic benefits. Despite the promised benefits of the Smart Grid, there are various concerns that need to be addressed such as security threats, privacy concerns, high infrastructure costs, and increased tariffs for effective implementation.
This report details the cyber security vulnerabilities that exist in the Smart Grid value chain, the efforts undertaken by certain countries to mitigate these vulnerabilities, and the measures that need to be implemented going forward. Four such instances of cyber security breaches are highlighted in this report.
Draft Now Available
IEEE P802.21c/D6™: IEEE Draft Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks -- Part 21: Media Independent Handover Services - Amendment 3: Optimized Single Radio Handovers
Amendment Standard - Unapproved Draft. This standard specifies additional IEEE 802 media access independent mechanisms that optimize handovers between possibly heterogeneous IEEE 802 systems and between IEEE 802 systems and cellular systems, to enable improved handover performance for single-radio devices.
Bringing Standards to Life
Celebrating 30 years of Ethernet Standards IEEE 802.3™
Join us during the next IEEE 802 Plenary Session (10-15 November 2013, Dallas, TX USA) for a special talk on 11 November by Dr. Robert (Bob) M. Metcalfe, UT Austin Professor of Innovation, and inventor of Ethernet. Read on
Internet of Things Workshop, 5-6 November 2013 in Mountain View, CA
Come and join us for an exciting workshop filled with innovative Speakers covering a wide range of technology topics:
- Making the Home, the Grid, and the World Smarter, Safer, and More Efficient -- Luca DiFalco, VP of Marketing, IPG and Strategic Sectors Development, STMicroelectronics
- Medical Device Communications and the Internet of Things -- Clint McClellan, Senior Director of Strategic Marketing, Qualcomm Life; President and Chairman of the Board, Continua Health Alliance
- IoT in the Automotive World -- Slav Berezin, Senior Project Engineer, General Motors
- Are Commercial & Industrial IoT Requirements the Same as Machine to Machine (M2M) IoT? -- Robert Dolin, Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Echelon
- IEEE 802.11ah™ -- Rolf de Vegt, Senior Director in the Technology Office, Qualcomm Atheros
Don't miss the new 3rd Quarter 2013 Issue of the IEEE Standards Education e-Magazine now available
Feature articles in this issue focus on OpenStand:
- Market-driven Standards Fuel Technology Innovation
- W3C Self-Evaluation of OpenStand Principles
- Social Media, Standards & You
What Does IEEE Have to Offer?
It’s membership renewal time, and if you haven’t decided yet whether to renew, several benefits were introduced this past year that might help you make up your mind. These include a new mentoring program; more continuing education courses; an open-access journal; access to Google apps; and discounted language-learning software, life insurance, and travel. For a complete list of benefits or to renew your membership for 2014, visit IEEE Membership and Services.