The Next Generation Service Overlay Networks (NGSON) Working Group (WG) announces a Call for Participation (CFP) to develop IEEE P1903™ Standard for Content Delivery Protocols, Service Composition Protocols, and Self-organizing Management Protocols of NGSON.
NGSON is envisioned as an overlay network that is dedicated only to service specific communications among operators, service providers, content providers, and end users. It is designed to provide a better, more efficient way of making these services and applications available to consumers by means of:
- Context-aware (e.g., required Quality of Service(QoS) level, type of service such as real-time vs. data, nature of data stream such as I-frame vs. B-frame, and type of terminal such as TV monitor vs. Personal Digital Assistant)
- Dynamically adaptive (e.g., using locally derived information to discover, organize, and maintain traffic flows in the network within a local area network)
- Self-organizing networking capabilities (e.g., developing network structures based on the needs of the customers and the capabilities of existing network structures) over Internet Protocol (IP)-based networks
The IEEE P1903 standard describes a framework of Internet Protocol (IP)-based service overlay networks and specifies context-aware, dynamically adaptive, and self-organizing networking capabilities, including advanced routing and forwarding schemes that are independent of underlying transport networks. A number of equipment vendors, telecom operators, and research organizations have been working on this project to standardize various aspects under IEEE P1903.
The IEEE P1903 NGSON WG is currently seeking new members. Paricipation is open to entities or individuals interested in becoming a member of the working group and continuing the development of the standard.
If you are interested in joining the IEEE P1903 NGSON WG
- create an email (subject line: IEEE P1903 WG participation)
- include your name, organization, email, & phone number
- and submit
IEEE P1903 Working Group Chair
IEEE STANDARDS ASSOCIATION
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854